The Power of Placement

I  recently heard about a social experiment where people were shown a string of letters and asked to put the spaces where they thought the spaces belonged.

The group of letters looked like:

GODISNOWHERE

Some people placed the spaces to make out the sentence

GOD IS NO WHERE

while others organized the letters to read

GOD IS NOW HERE

This experiment reminds me of the power of perspective. I often forget that true power is not so much in the soup of letters life has put in front of me, it’s in how I arrange them. My dear mentor constantly reminds me to “look through appearances to the truth”- Truth with a capital T. When the fearful, anxious part of me wants to run around screaming “God is no where!!” like my hair is on fire, if I can quiet down just enough I can access the part that quietly knows “God is now here”- even in the midst of seeming chaos.

Whatever a person’s beliefs, a switch up of letter spacing has transformational power. This power transcends even the most dire appearances. It’s possible to look through to the Truth that:

LOVE IS NOW HERE
PEACE IS NOW HERE
HEALING IS NOW HERE
HOPE IS NOW HERE
... insert the statement that works for you

Now when I’m anxious or overwhelmed I can use my irritability as an invitation to check in and make sure I’ve arranged the spaces of my perspective to spell out the Truth.  Once the letters are in their proper place I tend to feel much better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Vulnerability of Vulnerability

The Courage To Change